Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Potty Trained!!!


I can't even express how proud Wes and I are of our little girl. She continues to amaze us. Our little Livie is on day 4 of potty training and hasn't had an accident since day 1 the first hour!! She literally "got it" after about an hour of peeing through her undies. We are so impressed!

I was SOOOOO not looking forward to potty training. In fact, I've been putting it off for a few months now. For some reason I thought there's NO WAY she's ready!!

One of my good friends, Sarah (whose son is only days younger than Liv), recently trained her son Braden using the 3-day method. I watched her do it and finally after many emails back and forth, she made me realize I needed to do this now. Especially with a baby on the way!!! The clock was ticking!! Boy was she right!!! I'm SOOOOOOO glad we did it now. It was actually a fairly easy process (minus the fact that I'm 9 mos. preggers. That made it a little harder on me and my back). 

I can't recommend the 3 day method enough. It really works! You just need to be able to devote (and I mean DEVOTE) three entire days to this. Here's how it's been going (please forgive the TMI. I just want to keep track of this stuff so I can remember all of it later when training #2):

Day 1: 
  • We woke up, ate breakfast and got her big girl undies on. She was NOT excited for the underwear. She cried a little and required a good amount of cuddling/hugs from Wes and I.
  • We pumped her full of water and waited for the big moment!
  • At first, she cried when we wanted her to sit on the potty. She didn't want anything to do with it. Wes and I were a little nervous for a minute there thinking that maybe she wasn't ready. Luckily it only lasted an hour or two the first day. 
  • After about an hour (from 11-12) of 4 to 5 accidents, she seemed to "get it"
  • She literally had only one TINY/mini accident with a couple of drops of pee that afternoon but that was it! She'd figured it out! 
  • She had a GIANT (and I mean big) poop that afternoon as well. Such a big deal as I was nervous she wouldn't want to poop on the potty at all. Phew! 
Day 2:
  • Not one accident!! 
  • Day 2 was when she started "telling" us she had to go by doing kind of a pee pee dance (like she was holding it) and she'd be sure to make eye contact. When we'd ask if she had to go, she'd say yes. 
Day 3:
  • No accidents AND another big poop!
  • On day three she started telling us verbally.  Now if she has to go she says, "Mommy, pee pee potty!" and we go! She so proud of herself!!!! 
Day 4:
  • I think she's a little annoyed with me asking her to tell me if she has to pee a million times. When she tells me "NO" it's like she's thinking, "Ugh! Mom! I'll TELL YOU WHEN I NEED TO GO! CHILL OUT!" I'm slowly learning to trust her more as she hasn't "missed a cue" yet. 


We're still working on the night time training. I'm not too worried about that one as she's still in a crib and I'm in no rush. If we can keep this going during the day I'll be one happy mama!! 

The next step is to get her comfortable enough to go to the bathroom in public or other people's houses. We haven't tried that yet so it should be interesting!! It's all a process and I'm fully aware that there will be set backs along the way. I'm just soooo relieved to have this done before #2 comes along! I'll enjoy my next three weeks of no diapers! 

Here she is on day 1! So cute in her underwear!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of the 3 of you and glad that my "encouragement" ;) worked! I honestly don't think I ever would have thought to potty train Braden so "early" if it had not been for my SIL Laura doing it at the same age with her son. All my other friends and SIL's have done it closer to 3, but I'm SO GLAD that we both did it now! The pooping can be an issue and every new "thing" like going out shopping, longer car rides, it's all a big learning process for all of us. But they're such smart kids I know they'll just "get it" too!